Esra was built at the Chatham (England) Naval Shipyard in 1888 and served for a period as a steam pinnace on an unspecified cruiser of the Royal Navy. Later, she was converted into a gasoline-powered excursion boat and used on inland waters.
Purchased by Rahmi M. Koç in 1988 as a wreck, she was restored in 2006-07 into a steam launch with a coal-fired boiler. ESRA is rated as a Class P2 craft, a passenger boat with no more than 12 passengers on board on voyages in smooth waters.
She was re-launched on 25 May 2007 by Mr. Koç’s granddaughter Esra, after whom the pinnace was named.
Displacement: 1.94 gross tonnes
Length: 6.25 m
Width: 1.83 m
Draft: 0.66 m
Engine: two-cylinder compound
Boiler: 200 lbs working pressure max
Power: 15 HP @ 500 rpm