Hoga (YT 146)
Class: Woban Class District Harbor Tug
Keel Laid: July 25, 1940
Launched: December 31, 1940
At: Consolidated Shipbuilding Corporation, Morris Heights, New York
Acquired: May 22, 1941
Length: 100 feet
Beam: 25 feet
Draft: 9 feet, 7 inches
Displacement: 218 tons
Address for Correspondence:
Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum
120 Riverfront Park Drive
North Little Rock, AR 72114
Address for Visiting:
Same as Correspondence
The United States Navy yard tug Hoga (YT 146) is typical of hundreds of World War II-era naval service craft. Hoga was placed into service with the U.S. Navy on May 22, 1941, and allocated to the 14th Naval District at the Naval Station in Pearl Harbor.
Hoga is well known for her actions in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. While not engaged in combatting the Japanese during the attack, the yard craft performed heroic service. Hoga, particularly distinguished herself through her crew’s actions in helping beach the burning and sinking battleship USS Nevada (BB 36) at Hospital Point. The yard tug also fought fires on Battleship Row for 48 hours and rescued wounded sailors from the oily waters. For her action, Hoga, the commanding officer, and the crew received a commendation from Admiral Chester A. Nimitz in February of 1942.
For the remainder of World War II Hoga served in Pearl Harbor in repair work, salvage jobs, and guiding warships in and out of the harbor. Hoga was transferred on loan to the Oakland Fire Department for use as a fireboat at the Port of Oakland. The boat was re-christened Port of Oakland (later changed to City of Oakland) entered service in July of 1948. City of Oakland served as a tour boat for President Jimmy Carter during a 35-minute tour of the Port of Oakland on July 3, 1980.
Ex-Hoga received National Landmark Status by the National Park Service on June 30, 1989. The boat was returned to the United States Navy in 1994 and was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register in 1996. On July 28, 2005, the United States Navy transferred Hoga to the City of North Little Rock, Arkansas. She arrived on November 23, 2015, and is now a permanent static display at the Arkansas Inland Maritime Museum.