USS LING (SS-297)

Class: Balao Submarine

Launched: August 15, 1943

At: Cramp Shipbuilding Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Commissioned: June 8, 1945

Length: 311 feet, 8 inches

Beam: 27 feet, 2 inches

Draft: 17 feet (surface trim)

Displacement: 1,525 tons (surfaced)

Armament: Ten 21-inch torpedo tubes, one 4-inch/50 caliber gun, two 20mm guns

Address:

Submarine Memorial Association

78 River Street

Hackensack, NJ  07601-7110

(201) 342-3268

Email: njnavalmuseum@yahoo.com

http://www.njnm.org

Latitude: 40.880114, Longitude: -74.039617

Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

USS Ling is the last of the fleet boats that patrolled American shores during World War II in response to U-Boat attacks off the coast of the United States. Ling made one Atlantic patrol before the war ended. Decommissioned in 1946, Ling became part of the Atlantic Reserve Fleet until reactivation as a submarine training vessel in 1960.

Ling was donated to the Submarine Memorial Association in 1971, arriving at her present home in New Jersey in January 1973. The boat is now displayed in the narrow headwaters of the Hackensack River, and is the official state naval museum for New Jersey. Ling continues in service as a training aid for high school ROTC students. The memorial also includes displays of Polaris, Terrier, and Talos missiles; and three small craft: a Japanese Kaiten, a German Seehund, and a PBR Mark II. Ling conducts youth group overnight encampments.

Comments are closed.