HNSA Crest with photos of visitors at the ships.

HMS ALLIANCE (P-417, S17, S67)

HMS Alliance out of the water at the museum.

Class: A-Class
Launched: 28 July 1945
At: Vickers & Amrstrong Ltd., Barrows-in-Furness
Commissioned: 11 March 1947

Length: 281 feet 9 inches
Beam: 22 feet, 3 in.
Draft: 16 feet 9 in.
Displacement: 1,120 tons surfaced, 1,620 tons submerged (after 1960: 1,380 surfaced, 1,620 submerged)
Armament: Ten 21-inch torpedo tubes; one 4" gun; three .303 machine guns, one 20 mm Oerlikon.
Crew: Total of 61. (after 1960: Total of 68.)
Propulsion: 2 x Sets Vickers 8-cylinder, single-acting, four-stroke supercharged diesel engines arranged on two shafts, and each developing 2150 BHP at 460 RPM.
2 x Sets Direct-Drive electric motors each developing 625 BHP. Twin three-bladed screws of 5 feet 9 inches diameter.

Address:
Royal Navy Submarine Museum
Halar Jetty Road
Gosport
Hampshire PO12 2AS
Tel: +44 239-252-9217
Email: admin@rnsubmus.co.uk
http://www.submarine-museum.co.uk/
Latitude: 50.7884479592, Longitude: -1.11971201667
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

HMS Alliance was designed for service in the Far East, but the war ended before she could be put into action. The A-Class was larger than its predecessors and Alliance had a range of 10,000 miles at an economical surface speed. When built, she had six bow torpedo tubes, four stern tubes. However, when she was streamlined and modernized during an extensive refit between 1958 and 1960, the external tubes were removed, leaving four tubes forward and two aft with a total of ten reload torpedoes. She also received a snorkel and better batteries. The conning tower was replaced with the 25 foot aluminum fin that enclosed all her masts. This and other streamlining made her quieter and faster underwater.

The primary tasks of the post-war Submarine Service were anti-submarine warfare and intelligence against the Soviet threat.

She was taken out of service and relegated to harbor training in 1973 by which time the Oberon and Porpoise Class boats formed the bulk of the submarine fleet and nuclear submarines were successively being commissioned.

Alliance was transferred on permanent loan to the Royal Navy Submarine Museum at Gosport, Hampshire in February 1978. She now stands, together with the Museum, as a memorial to the 4,334 British submariners who gave their lives in both world wars and to the 739 officers and men lost in peacetime submarine disasters.

HMS Alliance underway.

Return to the HNSA Home Page.

 

Copyright © 1997-2010, Historic Naval Ships Association.
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Privacy Policy
Version 3.03