HNSA Crest with photos of visitors at the ships.

LIGHTSHIP RELIEF (WAL-605, then WLV-605)

Photo of Lightship Relief.

Class: WAL-189 Lightship
Built: 1950
At: Rice Brothers Shipyard, East Boothbay, Maine

Commissioned: February 1951
Length: 128 feet
Beam: 30 feet
Draft: 11 feet
Displacement: 617 tons

Address for visiting:
Jack London Square
Oakland, California
Address for inquiries:
U.S. Lighthouse Society
United States Lighthouse Society
9005 Point No Point Rd. NE
Hansville, WA 98340
Tel: 1-415-362-7255
Email: info@uslhs.org
http://uslhs.org/about_lightship.php
Latitude: 37.7956873488, Longitude: -122.28064196
Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Lightship 605 - now called Relief - is one of six all-welded lightships constructed for the U.S. Coast Guard. She served for 25 years as a floating lighthouse and communications platform. Her first duty station was as Overfalls lightship station off Delaware. In 1959, she was transferred to the Blunts (reef) station off Cape Mendocino, California. In 1969, she became Relief, relieving all West Coast lightships when they left station for overhaul. She was decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1975, and given to the City of Olympia, Washington.

Relief was purchased from the City of Olympia by Mr. Alan Hosking of Woodside, California in 1979. He donated her to the U.S. Lighthouse Society in December 1986. For 17 years, volunteers of the Society worked to restore the vessel. She was opened to the public as a floating museum in October 2002.

Lightship Relief is a National Historic Landmark.

Lightship Relief at the museum

Return to the HNSA Home Page.

 

Copyright © 1997-2010, Historic Naval Ships Association.
All Rights Reserved.
Legal Notices and Privacy Policy
Version 3.05