Lightship SWIFTSURE (LV-83, then WAL-508)
Length: 135 feet, 9 inches
Lightship 83, now called Swiftsure, was built for the U.S. Lighthouse Service as the Blunts Reef, California lightship. She is the oldest surviving example of an American lightship with its original marine steam engine. She weathered severe storms and heavy damage from ramming by a steam schooner during her first six years of service. She later rescued 155 survivors from a stranded coastal steamer. Sails were used to help keep her on station in the early years. Replaced at Blunts Reef in 1930, she became the San Francisco lightship.
Swiftsure came under Coast Guard jurisdiction in 1939. During the WWII, the No. 83 was painted gray and served as an examination vessel for the Coast Guard. Her armaments included a 3" deck gun on her foredeck, two .50 caliber machine guns, and a depth-charge-firing Y-gun on her stern. Carrying a wartime crew of 40, the No. 83 patrolled from San Francisco to the Farallon Islands and challenged incoming ships to San Francisco to confirm their identities. Her notable war action was firing a warning shot across the bow of the converted Ile de France troopship. This famous passenger ship failed to signal the recognition codes to the No. 83 and steamed into San Francisco bay unheeded. She was carrying wounded marines from the Battle of Guadalcanal.
After the war and serving as the San Francisco Lightship until 1951, the No. 83 was transferred to the 13th Coast Guard District in Seattle. Her designation was changed to Relief and served as the relief vessel for the Columbia River, Umatilla Reef, and Swiftsure lightship stations. She was one of the longest serving lightships on the west coast and one of the few to serve at all of the five West Coast lightship stations.
Swiftsure was decommissioned in 1960, after 56 years of continuous duty, and purchased by Northwest Seaport in 1966. The Swiftsure can be viewed at Historic Ships Wharf at Lake Union Park in Seattle.
Lightship Swiftsure is on the National Register of Historic Places and is a National Historic Landmark.
Return to the HNSA Home Page.