B/S GEORGIOS AVEROF

Type: Armored Cruiser

Launched: March 12, 1910

At: Cantieri Orlando Shipyard in Livorno, Italy

Commissioned: May 16, 1911

Length: 459.3 feet (140 meters)

Beam: 68.9 feet (21 meters)

Draft: 24.6 feet

Displacement: 10,200 tons

Armament: Two twin 234 mm turrets, four twin 190 mm turrets, eight 76 mm machine guns, four 76 mm anti-aircraft machine guns, six 37 mm machine guns and three torpedo tubes.

Address:

Hellenic Maritime Heritage Grove

Marina Trokadero

Faliron 17510

Athens

Greece

Tel. +30 210-988-8211

Fax. +30 210-988-8211

Email: [email protected]

http://www.bsaverof.com

http://www.hellenicnavy.gr

Latitude: 37.9338124346, Longitude: 23.6837244562

Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Georgios Averof is the world’s only surviving heavily armored cruiser of the early 20th century. During the Balkan Wars in 1912 and 1913, she was the Hellenic Navy fleet flagship during the campaigns in the North and Central Aegean islands, as well as the coastal cities of East Macedonia and Thrace.

Greece remained neutral during most of World War I. The Eleutherios Venizelos government in 1917 decided to participate on the Allies’ side. At the end of the first World War in November 1918 she sailed to Constantinople and raised the Hellenic flag as one of the winning powers of the Great War. After the signing of the peace treaties Averof with the rest of the fleet moved the Hellenic troops to Asia Minor.

She served on the Allied side during World War II, having fled to Egypt and the Indian Ocean with the rest of the fleet. She led the Greek naval force when the fleet dropped anchor in the Faliron Bay, Athens on October 17, 1944. The raising of the ship’s war flag in the Athens Acropolis marked the city’s liberation.

Georgios Averof‘s last voyage was to Rhodes in May 1947 to commemorate the accession of Dodecanese from Italy. She was towed to her permanent berth in Faliron Bay in 1985, where is now open as a museum. The museum also displays Athenian Trireme Olympias [reconstructed, 1987] and WW II Destroyer HS Velos (D-16) as an anti-dictatorship struggle museum.

Type: Armored Cruiser

Launched: March 12, 1910

At: Cantieri Orlando Shipyard in Livorno, Italy

Commissioned: May 16, 1911

Length: 459.3 feet (140 meters)

Beam: 68.9 feet (21 meters)

Draft: 24.6 feet

Displacement: 10,200 tons

Armament: Two twin 234 mm turrets, four twin 190 mm turrets, eight 76 mm machine guns, four 76 mm anti-aircraft machine guns, six 37 mm machine guns and three torpedo tubes.

Address:

Hellenic Maritime Heritage Grove

Marina Trokadero

Faliron 17510

Athens

Greece

Tel. +30 210-988-8211

Fax. +30 210-988-8211

Email: [email protected]

http://www.bsaverof.com

http://www.hellenicnavy.gr

Latitude: 37.9338124346, Longitude: 23.6837244562

Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Georgios Averof is the world’s only surviving heavily armored cruiser of the early 20th century. During the Balkan Wars in 1912 and 1913, she was the Hellenic Navy fleet flagship during the campaigns in the North and Central Aegean islands, as well as the coastal cities of East Macedonia and Thrace.

Greece remained neutral during most of World War I. The Eleutherios Venizelos government in 1917 decided to participate on the Allies’ side. At the end of the first World War in November 1918 she sailed to Constantinople and raised the Hellenic flag as one of the winning powers of the Great War. After the signing of the peace treaties Averof with the rest of the fleet moved the Hellenic troops to Asia Minor.

She served on the Allied side during World War II, having fled to Egypt and the Indian Ocean with the rest of the fleet. She led the Greek naval force when the fleet dropped anchor in the Faliron Bay, Athens on October 17, 1944. The raising of the ship’s war flag in the Athens Acropolis marked the city’s liberation.

Georgios Averof‘s last voyage was to Rhodes in May 1947 to commemorate the accession of Dodecanese from Italy. She was towed to her permanent berth in Faliron Bay in 1985, where is now open as a museum. The museum also displays Athenian Trireme Olympias [reconstructed, 1987] and WW II Destroyer HS Velos (D-16) as an anti-dictatorship struggle museum.

Comments are closed.