LCM 56

Class: Higgins LCM (6) – LCM (3) with six feet added to the tank deck

Type: Landing craft, mechanized

Launched: 1950s

At: Higgins Industries, New Orleans, LA

Length: 56 feet

Beam: 14 feet, 4 inches

Draft: 4 feet, 3 inches

Displacement: 52 tons (fully loaded)

Armament: two .50 caliber machine guns

Address:

Battleship Cove

5 Water Street, P.O. Box 111

Fall River, MA 02722-0111

(508) 678-1100

Fax: (508) 674-5597

Email: [email protected]

http://www.battleshipcove.org

Latitude: 41.7048922477, Longitude: -71.1625040737

Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

Immortalized on the shores of Normandy, LCMs were launched from amphibious vessels and used extensively during World War II to carry personnel to and from hostile shores. They could carry as many as 120 troops, vehicles as large as a 30-ton tank, or up to 120,000 lbs. of cargo. They were extremely buoyant and had a cruising range of 850 miles at 6.25 knots. With their flat bottoms and hinged bow ramps, they could discharge troops directly onto a beach.

Battleship Cove’s LCM was powered by two 110-225 horsepower diesel engines and manned by a crew of four. LCM 56 is on display at Battleship Cove, the world’s largest collection of historic naval ships.

Comments are closed.