ANGELS GATE (ex-ST-695, ex- L.A.H.D. #10)
Class: US Army Small Tug
Built: Decatur Iron and Steel, Decatur Alabama
Accepted by the Army 27 December 1944
Acquired: By City of Los Angeles Harbor Department (Port of Los Angeles) 1946
Transferred to Los Angeles Maritime Museum (City of LA Department of Recreation and Parks) 1992
Length Overall: 85 Feet – Beam: 23 Feet, Depth 10 feet
Current Engine: E.M.D. Detroit Diesel
Address for Correspondence:
Los Angeles Maritime Museum
Berth 84, Foot of 6th Street, San Pedro CA 90731
Please note: The Museum is closed for a construction project. It plans to re-open summer of 2021
Address for Visiting:
Same as Correspondence
The tugboat ANGELS GATE arrived at the Museum in 1992, after almost 50 years of providing general towing services and goodwill tours for the Port of Los Angeles.
Built in 1944 in Decatur, Alabama, for the Army Transportation Service, she was originally known as ST (small tug) 695, and was among the fleet of tugboats designed for overseas operations. ST-695 primarily served at the Army Port of Embarkation in Wilmington, California. After the war, the Army declared ST-695 “surplus” and she was sold to the City of Los Angeles Harbor Department (now known as the Port of Los Angeles), where she worked steadily until her “retirement” and transfer to the Museum in 1992.
Today, ANGELS GATE is a familiar sight in Los Angeles Harbor, providing narrated tours for Museum members. Other than the removal of her machine guns and military hardware, (and now painted white, sporting the City of LA seal on her stack) ANGELS GATE appears much as she did when first launched. ANGELS GATE is maintained and operated by a skilled volunteer crew and a US Coast Guard-licensed captain.