Launched At: George Lawley & Sons Shipyards in Neponset, MA
Commissioned: 18 September 1944
Length: 158′ 5 1/2″
Beam: 23′ 3″
Draft Light Landing: 2′ 8″ forward, 4′ 10″ aft
Draft Loaded Landing: 5′ 4″ forward, 5′ 11″ aft
Displacement: 387 tons fully loaded
Complement: 3 Officers, 21 to 24 Crew, typically USNR
Armament: five single 20 mm anti-aircraft mounts.
Amphibious Forces Memorial Museum
P.O. Box 17220
Portland, OR 97217-0220
509-427-5402 or 503-266-9173
Gordon Smith, Chairman
Facebook Address: https://www.facebook.com/LCI713
Address to Visit:
She is located at a secure site at its Port of Portland mooring, Swan Island, OR. The ship is available for individual and group tours, by appointment only, on Thursday and Saturdays, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 pm. For information, see the Website: http://www.amphibiousforces.org/
Latitude: 45.6156387129, Longitude: -122.679117442
LCI(L)-713 was built by George Lawley & Sons Shipyards in Neponset, Massachusetts in 1944 to land up to 200 soldiers onto any beach in the world. After shakedown and training cruises at Solomons, Maryland, she sailed through the Panama Canal to the Pacific Theater of Operations where she earned a battle star while assigned to Flotilla 24. She participated on two combat landings on Mindanao and Borneo before the end of World War II. From then on until December 1945 she transported troops, mail and supplies around the Philippines.
She sailed back to the United States in January 1946. She was decommissioned on October 6th, 1946 and released to the Maritime Commission for sale. On February 10th, 1948, the ship was purchased at government auction by C. T. Smith & Son, a log-towing company, and picked up from the Navy in Seattle. After a two day trip to Portland, Oregon, it was found that she would not be practical for towing logs so she was docked and for several years used for stowing gear and fuel.
The LCI(L)-713 eventually settled to the bottom becoming a breakwater in the Columbia River near the town of Stevenson, Washington. Arthur A. Raz acquired the ship in 1976, raised the ship and towed it to Portland, Oregon. She remained in Portland until 1998 when Walt James purchased the ship from the estate of Mr. Raz and began a restoration effort. In 2003 a non-profit 501(c)(3) corporation under the name of the “Amphibious Forces Memorial Museum” was formed in order to keep the LCI(L)-713 as a museum ship for current and future generations. The museum acquired the ship from Mr. James in December, 2003. The museum has a complement of volunteers that include electricians, maritime industry welders, students, entrepreneurs and several WW II amphibious veterans who share a common interest in bringing the ship back to her original war-time condition. They are proud to be involved in the restoration of this ship. The LCI(L)-713 is the last remaining LCI(L) in its original WW II configuration.