USS LITTLE ROCK (CL-92, later CLG-4)

Class: Cleveland Class Cruiser, later converted to Little Rock Class Guided Missile Cruiser

Launched: August 27, 1944

At: Cramp Shipbuilding Company, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Commissioned: June 17, 1945

Converted: 1960 at New York Shipbuilding Corporation, Camden, New Jersey

Length: 610 feet

Beam: 66 feet

Draft: 25 feet

Displacement: 10,670 tons

Armament: Two Mk II Talos Missile Launchers; three 6-inch guns; two 5-inch/38 caliber guns

Address:

Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park

One Naval Park Cove

Buffalo, New York 14202

(716) 847-1773

Fax: (716) 847-6405

Email: [email protected]

http://www.buffalonavalpark.org/

Latitude: 42.8775537253, Longitude: -78.8807763366

Google Maps, Microsoft Bing, Yahoo Maps, Mapquest

The only World War II cruiser on display in the U.S., USS Little Rock is the sole survivor of the Cleveland class, the most numerous of U.S. wartime cruisers (29 vessels completed). Little Rock served with distinction as flagship for both the Second and Sixth fleets. In 1960, she was converted to a Talos missile cruiser, making four cruises to the Mediterranean and two to the North Atlantic.

Little Rock was stricken from the Navy Register in 1976, and acquired by the City of Buffalo in 1977. The ship is now a museum vessel on display at the Naval & Military Park with USS Croaker and USS The Sullivans, as well as PTF-17, a P-39 Bell Aircobra, FJ-4B Fury, M-41 tank, M-84 armored personnel carrier and a UH-1 helicopter.

Little Rock conducts youth group overnight encampments.

Comments are closed.