The Louisiana Naval War Memorial Commission, which operates the USS KIDD Veterans
Museum in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, seeks an Executive Director to provide leadership and
to execute the goals and objectives of the Commission.
This position is full-time and salaried. You must be able climb shipboard stairs and ladders
and negotiate tight spaces. A normal workweek is 5, 8-hour days, however, you can expect
to be on 24-hour call status, as well as working some weekends and many holidays.
Anticipated start date is October 3, 2022.
• Keep the best interests of USS KIDD and the Museum as top priority.
• Oversee the operations of the Museum in a business-like manner.
• Prepare an annual budget and subsidiary budgets.
• Generate sufficient operating income in accordance with the Commission-approved
• Manage and lead the staff, volunteers and contractors.
• Develop policies and procedures for all aspects of the Museum’s operation.
• Recruit, hire, fire, set compensation and discipline employees.
• Create and present reports to the Commission on a regular basis.
• Manage, secure and maintain the Museum property in a safe and attractive manner.
• Work with Louisiana Veterans Museum Foundation to develop fundraising events and
• Seek potential granting organizations. Write and submit grant applications and manage
• Maintain an appropriate public relations program through available news outlets.
• Maintain a positive position in the local community.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A college degree in business administration, history, or another related field, or
comparable related experience.
• Record of accomplishing projects and programs.
• Strong written and verbal communication, customer service, and interpersonal and
conflict resolution skills.
• Strong project management and organizational skills.
• Self-motivated, professional, and detail-oriented.
• Experience maintaining, preserving, or restoring an historic vessel or structure.
• Background in the museum or non-profit profession. Ten years on museum ships, ships,
museums, or other cultural institutions.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications.
• Social media experience.
• Military and Naval knowledge.
• Group Health Insurance Plan (50% paid by Museum).
• 5 Paid Holidays, plus Sick and Personal Days
• 401(K) – type savings with partial match.
Please no phone calls.
Send resume and letter of interest to Larry Muenzler, email@example.com
Equal Employment Opportunity. The Commission strongly supports equal employment
opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, sex, religion, marital status,
national origin, age, sexual orientation or preference, medical condition (including
pregnancy) or protected disability where it is unrelated to the ability to perform a job, or
status as a Vietnam-era or special disabled veteran, or any category prohibited by federal,
state or applicable local law, regulation or ordinance.